Friday, August 17, 2012

WIP: Rhino Interior

(Click for larger images) 


Pretty self explanatory: the interior of a rhino. 

The entire interior was undercoated black and airbrushed fortress gray and white. Sponge chipping was applied using Charadon Granite. For weathering, I used two layers of burnt umber oil paint, the first was a thin layer applied on all surfaces, the second layer was applied more thickly concentrating in the recesses and in areas where I wanted to add build up or streaking. Finally, to add a sense of realism and imply the vehicle's use by its passangers, blood was splashed on sparingly using Tamiya Clear Red mixed with a touch of black and Scorched Brown; Secret Weapon Miniatures spent shell casing were superglued in place; and a hurridly painted helmet was glued down.

Because the interior of the Rhino will be...well...interior...I didn't spend more than a few hours on the effort. This was also my first time using oil paints in a project -- I have barely had time to experment with them before, even -- so it was a learning process but I'm fairly happy with the results, I think.


Sunday, July 8, 2012

Morale Boost: Imperial Fists Freestyle


The inner abyss of posing space marines and coping with yellow takes its toll on even the most devout souls. Therefore, I share with you this awful(ly awesome) rap about the struggle of a yellow-brush gangstER.

Don't say I didn't warn you...?

Saturday, July 7, 2012

More Reposing Marines WIP



brief update here. I've been working on more re-posed marines for my two tactical squads which I want to finish before I do another round of batch painting which should finish my two tactical squads (?!). The results are below. I've added scrimshaw to the squad leaders and sergeants. I've also got pieces of bone and skeletal hands converted to stick onto random marines using the metal fastener-like things from those scroll bits that come with every Space Marine kit ever made but, alas, I have no pictures of those here.












and now to go solve my festering yellow crisis...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

WIP Experimenting with Oil Paints and Metallic Battle Damage Pt. II

With my first tactical squad almost done (happy happy pictures in the coming weeks), I've started thinking about how to paint armor. I'm told oil paints are a must for good armor and given that I have little experience with painting vehicles or with oil paints, I thought I'd give some more experimentation a go. Here, I was using Imperial Armor Masterclass as a guide. This is basecoat, oil, and chipping only -- no highlights.



This little experiment has convinced me that oil is the way to go. However, it's a finicky medium and its properties change pretty significantly as it slowly dries. That said, a little bit more practice and we'll be good to go.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

WIP Posing Marines

The limited poses of space marines drives me crazy. Mixing in running legs from the assault box can help, but only so much. Having one or two marines posed differently using GW parts also helps (e.g., the kneeling and auspex marines, previously pictured).

But wanting some more variability, I've started messing around with converting marines into different poses. the MK4 marine previously pictured (in an aiming position) was a minor reposing conversion, but it really just moved the bolter up closer to the guy's face -- barely noticeable, really. So decided to go for another converted pose in this squad, something a little more distinct.

Hence, we have 'Mr. walking-with-weapon-in-stand-by-position." First time I've ever tried a serious reposing. My Green Stuff skills need some work, but with a few adjustments, this guy should be good to go.